Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Short Inspirational Stories


Many years ago, there lived a man who was capable of loving and forgiving everyone he came across. Because of this, God sent an angel to talk to him. The angle said, "God asked me to come and visit you and tell you that he wishes to reward you for your goodness, You may have any gift you wish for. Would you like the gift of healing?"
"Certainly not," said the man. "I would prefer God to choose those who should be healed." 
"Then what about leading sinners back to the path of Truth?", said the angel. "That’s a job for angels like you. I don’t want to be venerated by anyone or to serve as a permanent example" replied the old man.
"Look, I can’t go back to Heaven without having given you a miracle. If you don’t choose, I’ll have to choose one for you."
The man thought for a moment and then said:
"All right, I would like good to be done through me, but without anyone noticing, not even me, in case I should commit the sin of vanity." So the angel arranged for the man’s shadow to have the power of healing, but only when the sun was shining on the man’s face. In this way, wherever he went, the sick were healed, the earth grew fertile again, and sad people rediscovered happiness.
The man traveled the Earth for many years, oblivious of the miracles he was working because when he was facing the sun, his shadow was always behind him. In this way, he was able to live and die unaware of his own holiness.

 ---

"Tree, O tree, with what should I bless you?
Should I bless you that your fruit be sweet? Your fruit is already sweet.
Should I bless you that your shade be plentiful? Your shade is plentiful. 
That a spring of water should run beneath you? A spring of water runs beneath you.
There is one thing with which I can bless you:
May it be God’s will that all the trees planted from your seed should be like you… "

---

You must try to be like a river that flows silent through the night,
not fearing the darkness and reflecting any stars high in the sky.
And if the sky is filled with clouds, the clouds are water like the river, so
without remorse reflect them too.

---

THE NATURAL ODER:
A very wealthy man asked a Zen master for a text which would always remind him how happy he was with his family.
The Zen master took some parchment and, in beautiful calligraphy, wrote:
  The father dies. The son dies. The grandson dies.

"What?!", said the furious rich man. "I asked you for something to inspire me, some teaching which might be respectfully contemplated by future generations, and you give me something as depressing and gloomy as these words?"
"You asked me for something which would remind you of the happiness of living together with your family. If your son dies first, everyone will be devastated by the pain. If your grandson dies, it would be an unbearable experience," replied the serene Zen. “However, if your family disappears in the order which I placed on the paper, this is the natural course of life. Thus, although we all endure moments of pain, the generations will continue, and your legacy will be long-lasting."




No comments:

Post a Comment